Challenge for Grid-Scale Energy Storage
Improving the cost-benefit relationship of energy storage
- The ownership cost of the energy storage system over its lifetime
- The value(s) energy storage provides
Challenge 1: Reduce Energy Storage Cost
Challenge 2: Monetizing Energy Storage Benefits for Multiple Grid Applications
All-Vanadium Flow Battery
- The flexibility of redox flow battery technology offers the potential to capture multiple value streams from a single storage device.
- Current research has demonstrated high power conditions can be achieved with minimal impact in stack efficiency.
- Next generation RFB technology based on Aqueous Soluble Organics (ASO) being developed to replace vanadium species.
- Continued cost reductions in Li-ion technology will be driven by EV/PHEV deployments. RFB may be able to achieve similar cost targets at ~ 100X lower production volume.
Click on the above icon for the FULL PDF version